21.4.13

Langkawi Island Ocean Marathon

Distance: 42km
Pace: 8'28"/km 05:55:23
Date: 21 April 2013
Time: 4.30 am
Location: Awana Porto Malai, Langkawi. Kedah

To think that on my 28th birthday in 2012, I treated myself to a backpacking adventure in Langkawi. Part of the adventure included running 17km at 11 am. Man, it was a hot one. It was my wish to run a marathon in Langkawi but from the reviews of seasoned runners, it seemed that Langkawi had a bad reputation for marathons. In the past, organizers had planned, postponed and cancelled off events without refunds etc, I heard but I can't be certain.

Well, suddenly there's a real marathon for me - right in Langkawi. If it wasn't a dream come true what do you call that? Again, I heard, that the run in Langkawi is in safe hands as it was organized by the organizer of River Jungle Marathon, the Marathon Shop. Magic happened and happens.

Flagged off at 4:30 am, running towards the airport, head tilted up, I was so mesmerized by the amount of stars there were in Langkawi. There were countless constellations - so romantic.

Before the race started, I heard a few persons saying that it wasn't an easy route. I had no idea what was in store for me. During the run, I met hills after hills - long stretch. At one point, a guy side, "This is already the peak anything after this is downwards." I couldn't be more relieved.

Well, very close to the finish, there was one more steep hill. My mind went berserk immediately. Then a famous running photographer ran beside me up that slope and told me, "Cannot stop until you reach finish. Cannot stop. Cannot stop." You have no idea how big a difference those words were to me. Thank you.

The pretty medal. Volkswagen for the win!
My lucky number in Langkawi!
In the wee hours, we reported at the starting line.
Finishing! Damn it. I finished it! The mad and endless hills.
Yes, for all the runners out there. There's every reason to be proud.
Indeed, Keep Calm and Lari Marathon. There's nothing better than this.
New friends found. Runners are always friendly and full of joy.

A cute guy. One of the friends we meet on the road. :) We run everywhere, yeah!
It was my 28th birthday when I came here with Chris. Reminiscing great times.
The famous Cenang Beach during sunset. I can't get enough of you.
Look at the amount of stuff my cousin made me buy.
The beautiful place that was my refuge during my time in Langkawi. 
This trip to Langkawi had been a very blessed one. See you again, Langkawi.
Felt so good to meet a dear old friend again after so many years.



0 comments:

Post a Comment