8.4.13

My First Sport Injury

The place to go to treat injuries.

First time for everything! My first injury came from cycling NOT running. *evil laughter*

I was cycling towards Balik Pulau and did an acrobat on my bike and tada - a fall! 2 spots on my right elbow and 1 spot on my right hip and yes, a crushed shoulder and chest. Too scared to cry and trying not to laugh, I tried to mount my road bike - just to find that it was bent. Innocently, I stood by the road side and waved at some passerby cyclists.

D: Hey, I fell down and my bike's bent, can you please fix it for me?
A: You okay? Let's go to the coffee shop - to wash off your wounds.

So thankful for the saviour! I still remember his name is Jason. After the drink at the coffee shop, I tried to cycle a bit more. My friend came with his ambulance and packed me back to my car. Throughout the injury, I learned to smile despite the pain and focused on healing instead of the blood. A friend asked me to suck it like a man and I did with minimal complaints. Couldn't lift up my arm, I had to make do with eating and driving with my left arm. I think all I needed was an OKU sticker for my car.

A conversation with my brother while he was nursing my wounds went:

D: Did you hear about my fall?
B: Yeah, from your mom.
D: What's your opinion?
B: Expected. Haha.

I didn't treat my shoulder injury as there was a duathlon and marathon coming. By the 15th day, after I completed the Malaysia Women Marathon, I finally brought myself to a sifu. This place recommended by my relative is located in Farlim, Air Itam.


The Experience

A: Is it painful here? Here? Here?
D: WTH!!! Very very very painful. ARGHHHH!!
A: Okay, lay down.
D: *laid down and sifu bent my right arm backwards. Loud cracking sound from the shoulder and chest* ARGHHHHHH!!!
A: All your nerves were out of place. It is bad.
D: How bad? Rate from 1 to 10.
A: 7 bad, 8 onwards means bones fractured.
D: Will the shoulder nerves affect the legs? Why did I run so slowly?
A: *eyes rolling* Okay, let me check for you.

He bent and pulled me like a doll and more loud cracking drumming sounds came from my spine/back and both legs. We were amazed how it affected my whole body and further reconfirmed my BAD nervous injury. In the next couple of days, I would experience mild numbness on my right hand.

My brother was standing by the door as the sifu bent and cracked me up - literally. Loud, he said. By now, I'm glad it is almost over. Did 2 runs after meeting the sifu. I could breathe and I could run. Sometimes I think I took things for granted. Must have forgotten to say my thankful prayers to my breathing lungs and my propelling shoulders and my running legs. So thank you to all!

The shoulder experience.

I must have learned a lot in the past month. 

On pain

That I can suck it like a man and focus on nothing but healing. Psychologically, it helped a lot. Considering I had the duathlon and marathon in tow which were one week apart. If I had whimpered and stuff, I might just not pull through both events.

On Family

They are my main pillar of care, comfort and love. I still recall how my brother nursed my 3 wounds and how he took me to the sifu in the evening to sort out my shoulder. On my mom and aunt, they were quick to provide necessary medication and attention. From my beloved cousin sister who bought me gauze when I was wounded. 

What would I be without my family?

0 comments:

Post a Comment